Rugby is one of the highest intensity sports you can play, where the effects of a game can be brutal.
Muscle recovery and re-cooperation is crucial, as this allows the body to replenish and helps training, which overall leads to increased performance gains on the pitch.
To aid the recovery process, bath salts can be used to help muscles relax and detox, becoming a useful tool in helping to keep you fit. The All-Blacks are renowned for using bath salts in training, with their strength and conditioning coach Nic Gill being a full supporter.
We’ve listed below the types of bath salts available, their contents and how they can benefit you in your post-match or training regime.
From the Dead Sea, the salts have been used since ancient Egyptian times for its health benefits.
- Magnesium helps to improve mood and relieve stress, encourages healthy skin tissue and aids detoxification
- Sodium plays a vital role in assisting cells to absorb nourishment and expel waste
- Calcium prevents water retention, increases circulation and strengthens bones and nails
- Potassium energises the body, helps to balance the skin’s natural moisture levels and is a crucial mineral to replenish following intense exercise
- Bromides act to ease muscle stiffness and relax muscles
- Chlorine is necessary for maintaining the correct balance of alkaline and acid in the body
- Iodine is vital for both energy and cell metabolism
Epsom Salts have a very high concentration of magnesium, which makes them great at flushing out toxins & easing fluid retention.
- Magnesium is an essential mineral for staying healthy. It helps to improve mood and relieve stress, encourages healthy skin tissue and aids detoxification
- The salts help to soothe aches and pains
- Detoxifying the skin and body
- Flushing out toxins
- Reducing fluid retention
- Exfoliation without drying the skin
- Relieving stress in the mind and body
Himalayan Salt contains all 84 minerals needed by the body, such as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium and chloride, as well as traces of boron, fluoride, iodine, zinc, selenium and copper.
- Stimulates circulation
- Detoxify and hydrates the skin
- Increases moisture retention
- Helps to promote cellular regeneration and can help to heal dry, irritated skin
- Helps to reduce inflammation of the muscles and joints, relax muscles and can therefore help to relieve pain and soreness
- Reduces stress and promote a better night’s sleep